Titus Andronicus @ Sons of Hermann Hall

To say that I was psyched to see Titus Andronicus at the Sons of Hermann Hall would be an understatement.  I saw the New Jersey-quintet at Fordham University in the Bronx earlier this year that ended prematurely (curfew) and had multiple injunctions by University officials and administration.  But where the band's show was cut short by logistics, they made up for in pure energy and modesty.  So when I saw they were coming through Dallas, I was excited to see a full show by the band in a venue I have yet to visit.

I really liked Sons of Hermann Hall; I like the fact there's a full bar downstairs but also a small bar within the venue space upstairs.  The space was large enough for a pretty sizable crowd but felt more intimate than other larger venues.  Prior to Titus's performance, I caught the two opening acts in Denton's Bizarro Kids and Dallas's Soft Environmental Collapse.  I was impressed by the Bizarro Kids, whose psychedelic-inspired electronic flowed really with their onstage visuals; except for the occasional out of place visual or odd song title, I thought they were pretty good.  Following the Kids were Soft Environmental Collapse, a band who fused electronic elements with live instruments and pop vocals.  I don't want to sound harsh but I was not a fan.  All I could think is that they sound like Memory Tapes but not good.  I don't know what it was but it just didn't work for me.

Despite the growing crowd at Hermann, the Hall was less than half full by time Titus took stage; which surprised me.  But nevertheless, the band never seemed let down by the turnout as they blistered through a 13-song set with minimal banter (except after the opening "A More Perfect Union" when guitarist Amy Klein's amp went out).  I enjoyed their performance, though again, I was a little disappointed in the crowd; the kids at Fordham seemed to have a much better time, hence the crowd control reactions by the administration.  The crowd did get vocal during songs like "No Future Part Three:..." and "Titus Andronicus", where chants of "you will always be a loser!" and "your life is over!" filled the Hall.  Overall, a great night with a great band.  The set list was as such:

A More Perfect Union
Richard II
Upon Viewing Brueghel's "Landscape With The Fall Of Icarus"
Theme From "Cheers"
No Future
No Future Part Two: The Days After No Future
No Future Part Three: Escape From No Future
Fear and Loathing In Mahwah, NJ
Titus Andronicus
The Battle of Hampton Roads
Titus Andronicus Forever
We're Coming Back (Cock Sparrer cover)
Four Score and Seven

Photos of the show are below, along with a video taken at their Fordham University show:

enjoy.
Titus Andronicus @ Sons of Hermann Hall Titus Andronicus @ Sons of Hermann Hall Reviewed by Scott Rowe, Editor on September 08, 2010 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.