HEALTH and the Black Lips @ Pool Parties

After making an 'early' exit from Fixed at the Tribeca Grand Hotel last night, I was really needing a good show to lift my spirits; I say 'early' since the bands didn't take the stage until 12:30. Oh well, moving on. So I descended upon the Williamsburg Waterfront for another edition of the Pool Parties. Last week I got the see Dirty Projectors, who were pretty good despite not being my cup of tea. This week, I was treated to a symphony of noise and rock by HEALTH and the Black Lips.

Honestly, I didn't know that much about HEALTH but I was very eager to see them perform. Perform they did. This was arguably the noisiest show I had ever been to. The sound from the bass stacks was rattling me from my ear canals to my shoestrings; it was unreal. But they were quite good. You could tell they were really into their performance, displaying an almost angry appearance whilst playing. After HEALTH, the Black Lips took the stage to a very avid crowd. It only took two songs for the Atlanta-based group to stir the crowd into a frenzy, jumping and dancing crazily. It was definitely too much for the handful of security guards to handle, as the barricades were pushed forward and eventually broken. Despite how great the music was, this was the most nervous I have ever been at a concert; and I have been to some crazy concerts. Jelly, make sure you provide sufficient event staff and better barricades next time; someone is going to get hurt. Other than that, the Black Lips were fantastic. I would like to see them again, preferably at a smaller venue with better overall production.





enjoy.
HEALTH and the Black Lips @ Pool Parties HEALTH and the Black Lips @ Pool Parties Reviewed by Scott Rowe, Editor on July 21, 2009 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.